240 mL Prairie Hill Farms Mixed Fruit Spread
1 cup + 2 tbsp. Butter
1 ¼ cup Sugar
2 Egg Whites
2 Egg Yolks
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
¼ tsp Cloves
¼ tsp Salt
2 tsp Baking Powder
2 cups Almonds, blanched, finely ground
3 cups All Purpose FlourAlmond slices, optional
Linzer Torte Dough
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Add the two egg whites and one egg yolk and continue to beat until fluffy. Add vanilla, cinnamon, ground cloves, salt and baking powder and mix together.
- Add the ground almonds and mix together.
- Gradually add in the flour and mix until smooth.
- Divide the dough in half.
The tortes can be made using the classic lattice topping or decorated with cookie cut outs.
Classic Lattice Pattern:
- Take one half portion of the dough. Divide into two with one portion about 40% and the second portion about 60%. Take the smaller portion and roll out into a long oval (you want to be able to cut several strips that will be long enough to span the full width of the torte). Cut into narrow strips using a pizza cutter or sharp knife. Refrigerate the strips to firm up and make them a little easier to work with.
- Take the 60% portion and roll out slightly larger than the bottom of your springform pan. Line pan with parchment paper and place dough circle on the bottom. Use fingers to form a one inch lip around the edges.
- Spread half of the jam over the dough circle.
- Lay several of the strips over the jam, parallel and evenly spaced.
- Repeat with the remaining strips, laying them across in the opposite direction.
- Whisk the remaining egg yolk (add a little milk to thin out) and brush over the pastry strips and edge. Decorate the edge with sliced almonds.
Cookie Cut Out Pattern:
- Follow the above steps for rolling out the dough but use cookie cutters instead of cutting strips. Use cookie cutters of your choice such as a leaf or star design.
Bake at 375°F for about 25-35 minutes until golden brown. Let cool somewhat before releasing from the pan. Dust with powdered sugar and let cool completely. It is best to slice and enjoy the next day.